Bricker Eckler Building=

  • Architects: John T. Harris, Columbus; James Knox Taylor, Washington, D.C.
  • 1887; 1907-12 (Addition)
  • 100 South Third Street
  • Renovation: Bohm-NBBJ, Columbus, 1986

Constructed as the city’s main post office, the original portion of this building was only about one-third the size of the current building. The enlargement and remodeling in the early twentieth century were so thorough that they resulted in a consonant design language.  The original Romanesque Revival building featured round-arched window openings capped by heavy hoodmolds, projecting stone bands between floors, and three slate-covered hipped roofs. The walls were faced with quarry-faced golden-tan Berea sandstone while smooth Berea sandstone was used for trim and moldings.  In 1907, the Post Office more than doubled in size, expanding to the north of the original building on the corner of State and Third streets, and was carried out in a Gothic Revival manner inspired by Norman work.  Indicative of this style are the expressive thicknesses of wall masses, pointed double-arched window openings (bifora), and carved floral ornamentation. The entire composition is crowned by the warm red tile roof, which replaced the original slate roof.  During the building’s rehabilitation in 1986 for use as law offices, the architects retained the carved oak postal window with grille on the main floor, the elegant marble staircase, carved oak wainscoting, and coffered wood ceilings. The courtroom was also retained, and now serves as a boardroom.

MENU