- Architects: Allied Architects Association of Columbus
- 1928; 1936; 1949
- 90 West Broad Street
City Hall occupies a prominent site on the Scioto River’s sloping east bank. Note the large statue of Christopher Columbus in the plaza facing Broad Street. The Marconi Boulevard elevation most strongly evokes the classical architecture on which the building’s design was based. Notice how the portico with eight large Ionic columns and a full entablature give the building a monumental presence on the river. The other three sides have pilasters rather than freestanding columns. Originally the building was U-shaped, with an open courtyard and garden in the center. In 1936 an east wing was added, and the central courtyard was enclosed in 1949.
City Hall’s smooth Indiana limestone contrasts with the ﬁnely detailed polished brown marble entrance surrounds. During the week, stop in to see the City Council Chamber on the second ﬂoor. Restored in 1986, the chamber combines classical and Art Deco design elements. Also note the interior details, such as the use of marble (especially the ornate spiral staircase outside the City Council Chamber) and the numerous brass decorative details.