- Architects: Frank L. Packard, Columbus
- 1234 East Broad Street
- Renovation: Richard Trott and Partners, Columbus, 1987
Charles Lindenberg, president of the Lilley Regalia Company, built this Beaux-Artes Classical mansion. It is symmetrical about its entrance and marked by the two-tone contrast of its exterior red brick and buff stone quoining. The dormer windows punctuating the roof admitted light to the spacious third-floor ballroom. Lindenberg hired Frederick Law Olmsted to design the grounds, which included a sunken garden. Today, the landscaped grounds include a garden pergola. The original carriage house remains in its position at the rear of the property. The state purchased the mansion in 1919 for $75,000 and used it as the governor’s mansion until 1957. Following a brief period, during which it was used for the state archives, the mansion passed through the hands of several owners throughout the 1970s. Then, in 1987, the mansion was rehabilitated to serve as the home of the city’s principal private foundation, the Columbus Foundation, which remains its function to this day.