- Architects: John Russell Pope, New York City; Howard Dwight Smith, Columbus
- 444 East Broad Street
- Addition: Brooks & Coddington, Columbus, 1963
Founded in 1852, this congregation occupied churches in several downtown locations before constructing the present building. John Russell Pope, the building’s architect, achieved a national reputation during the early twentieth century. He was awarded the first scholarship to study at the American Academy in Rome in 1895. His architectural legacy includes Union Station in Richmond, Virginia, and the National Gallery of Art, National Archives, and Washington Monument in Washington, DC.
In the first half of the twentieth century, the Gothic Revival style was popular for church and collegiate architecture throughout the country; typically it was simpler and more solid than twelfth–fourteenth-century Gothic style. The church has a very high nave with a shallow-pitched gable roof. Substantial buttresses are set between the windows. Inside, the side aisles are very modest. High above, the church’s tall, lancet-arched windows light the sides of the nave. Note the large rose window above the entrance. At the opposite end of the building, a thin copper spire tops the crossing.