- Architects: Snyder & Babbitt, Columbus
- circa 1900; 1926
- 17 South High Street
In 1916 Huntington Bank, a local institution dating from 1866, established its ofﬁces on Capitol Square. Its ﬁrst home was the twelve-story Harrison Building, one of the tallest on the square when it was built in 1900. However, by the mid- 1920s the Harrison was much too small for the fast-growing banking ﬁrm. In 1925 the bank began adding a new structure against the north wall of the Harrison Building. On the east side a new ﬁne-grained limestone facade in the Second Renaissance Revival style blended the two buildings. Note the heavily rusticated surface of the lower ﬂoors and corners, large central entrance, multiple belt course, and decorative cornice typical of this style. During construction of the Huntington Center next door, the architect designed the bank building’s brick west wall with stucco, giving it a contemporary look reminiscent of the rustication on the east facade. To see one of the Harrison Building’s original brick walls, look on the building’s south wall, one bay back from the east (or front) facade.
During business hours, visit the impressive 1927 Tiffany banking lobby, which occupies nearly all of the ground ﬂoor. Its highly decorated ﬂat ceiling, banking counter, tellers’ cages, and decorative elevator doors create the feeling of a prosperous 1920s ﬁnancial institution