This material is used by permission of Ohio University Press, www.ohioswallow.com

  • Architects: Richards, McCarty & Bulford, Columbus
  • 1934
  • 83 Marconi Boulevard
  • Renovation: Schooley Caldwell Associates, Columbus, 1996

The Old Post Office’s wide pilasters with deeply recessed windows between them give the building a strong, stately presence. The sandstone and marble façade gives the building a warm, rich tone. The exterior is very plain; its minimal detailing is classically inspired and confined largely to the upper levels above the windows. As you walk along the river to see the west facade, notice how strong belt courses divide the building into three parts. On the north side, a truss-roofed garage and a free-standing colonnade are unusual features.

The northernmost building in the Civic Center group, the Old Post Office replaced the Old, Old Post Office at State and Third streets. The main post office moved to Twin Rivers Drive west of downtown in 1969, but the federal courts and several federal offices are still housed here. The building was renamed for Judge Kinneary in 1998.

 

MENU