This material is used by permission of Ohio University Press, www.ohioswallow.com

  • Architect: Howard Dwight Smith, OSU
  • 1922
  • 404 West Seventeenth Avenue
  • Expansion and Renovation: DesignGroup, Columbus; Hellmuth Obata + Kassabaum, St. Louis, 2000

Perhaps no other part of the OSU campus is as close to the hearts of alumni as the famous horseshoe of Ohio Stadium. At the time of its construction, this stadium was the largest west of the Appalachian Mountains. It was also the largest structure of its kind built of reinforced concrete. The innovative double-deck horseshoe is 725 feet long, 596 feet wide, and 98 feet high and measures a third of a mile around its perimeter. It covers ten acres, could originally seat 66,210, and today can seat 101,568.  The stadium was expanded and renovated in 2000. The extensive project included lowering the playing field, creating new locker rooms and band practice rooms, increasing seating capacity, creating a permanent addition at the south end of the stadium, and improving support facilities throughout. The main entrance arch at the north end and the towers at the south end of the stadium were retained as prominent features in the new design. Note the coffered ceiling in the recessed north entrance and the terra-cotta swags between the upper and lower levels.

MENU