- Architects: F. A. Ludewig Company, St. Louis
- 7625 North High Street
- Renovation: Feinknopf Macioce Schappa, Columbus, 1985; William J. Heyer, Architect, Bexley, 2009-2010
The Pontifical College Josephinum dominates the skyline north of Worthington. Founded in 1888 by the Reverend Joseph Jessing at a location on Main Street near downtown Columbus, this college and seminary is the only Catholic educational institution in the United States under direct Papal jurisdiction. Designed by a Dutch-born architect, the main building of the present Josephinum complex is built of brick and locally-quarried stone; it is executed in the Flemish Gothic tradition of the architect’s homeland, which is notable for its combination of these two materials. The smooth brick walls with stone sills and belt courses, cross-windows and oriels, and understated dormers are inspired by late medieval work found in modern-day Belgium and The Netherlands. Symmetrical in plan, the main building features a tall tower capped by an octagonal belfry and four corner pinnacles that can be seen from miles away. The main building includes the theology school and residence, refectory, library, administration, and three chapels. Gerhard Lamers, who painted the murals in St. Mary’s Church in German Village, executed an exceptional mid-twentieth century cycle in the Saint Joseph Chapel. St. Turibius Chapel, the principal place of worship at the College, was renovated in 1989, and was enhanced in 2009 according to a more traditional aesthetic. Similarly, the refectory was repainted and stenciled according to authentic medieval patterns in 2010.