This material is used by permission of Ohio University Press, www.ohioswallow.com

  • Architects: Dauben, Krumm & Riebel, Columbus
  • 1896
  • 21 East Main Street
  • Renovation: Feinknopf Macioce Schappa, Columbus, 1998

The Southern Theatre, which seats 933 people, has decorative plasterwork and an elaborate rounded proscenium arch. Outside, observe the theater’s carved stone entrance arch and colored glass transom. The oldest theater in Columbus and one of the few surviving authentic nineteenth-century theaters in America, it was designed for touring theatrical productions and later used for silent films, vaudeville, and motion pictures.  The Southern Theatre was acquired by the Columbus Association for the Performing Arts (CAPA) in 1986, and restoration work was completed in 1998. The theater is now the home of the ProMusica Chamber Orchestra, the Columbus Jazz Orchestra, and the Columbus Light Opera.

MENU