Lazarus Building

  • 1909
  • 50 West Town Street
  • Renovation: Schooley Caldwell Associates, Columbus; Elkus Manfredi, Boston, 2008

The renovation and adaptive use of this century-old, 1,000,000 SF former department store into a LEED Gold mixed-use building presented major challenges, but was also a huge success story for downtown Columbus. The building’s brick and terra cotta facade was restored, and more than 150 window openings, once infilled by the department store, were reopened using mullion patterns that match the original units. The design team also transformed a former street through the building’s center into a two-story Galleria that now serves as the central organizational element of the project. An eight-story skylit lightwell above the Galleria, an important architectural feature at the center of the building, not only provides drama to the Galleria below but also brings natural light to the center of the large tenant floors. Lazarus has been revitalized, thought it now houses offices, retail, art studios, exhibition space, and restaurants rather than eager shoppers. The project was also one of the first, and is still one of the largest, renovations in Central Ohio to achieve LEED Gold certification.

MENU