- Architects: Allen & Collins, Boston
- 1858 Neil Avenue
- Addition: Howard Dwight Smith, OSU, 1951
- Renovation: Acock Associates, Columbus; Graham Gund Architects, Boston, 2010
Crowning the west end of the Oval is this Bedford limestone building, named for former OSU president William Oxley Thompson. The building was expanded in 1951 to accommodate a growing university, but the powerful east elevation features the original three-story building. Eight engaged Ionic columns across the front denote the original double-height reading room. Round-arched entrances are set into the rusticated first floor. The addition includes the tower that has become a visual landmark on the Oval.
The building has recently undergone a major renovation that resulted in the removal of the 1977 addition and constructed a new west wing, the restoration of the two-story height of the historic reading room, and the updating of the tower to include a new penthouse space on the top floor.